Thursday, June 19, 2014

Strangers In Time

Strangers In Time
We are not human beings having a
spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a
human experience.
- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

"Whereas the bird is at home in the air, we are clearly not at home in time--because we belong to eternity. Time, as much as any one thing, whispers to us that we are strangers here." Elder Neal A Maxwell

What does that mean to be strangers in time? We are eternal beings, sons and daughters of an everlasting God. There is no beginning and no end to our existence;
though, through our own choices
we may limit our progression.

God in His wisdom has seen fit to teach us through this mortal experience based in the confinement of time. To be limited by time is a foreign concept to our spirits. Why do you think we wear watches or constantly check our phones for the time? Why do you think we have to set alarms and meticulously write things on the calendar? Why do you think we "lose track of time" or use phrases like "time flies"? It's all a result of the fact that our spirits know instinctively that this limitation of time is not natural to us, and we are trying to compensate.

Now, I am not going to go into any sort of speculation about dimensions of time or the infinite-god paradox. We have all, myself included, indulged at some point in our lives in some speculation and theorizing about so called "deep doctrine." For purposes of this blog I wish to stick to the fundamentals of the gospel. Elder Bednar said it best when he said that "much of the so-called 'deep doctrine' is not really doctrine at all." (See also Jacob 4:13-14)

The Here and The Now
So instead of dwelling on things which we can do nothing about, lets rather focus on the here and now. How do we deal with the fact that time is constantly a limiting factor in our lives? There is so much required of us! And all of us, no matter who you are, only get 24 hours a day. No amount of money or fame can get you 26 hours, or even 24.5 hours in a day.

I don't know about you guys, but sometimes it feels like there's just simply not enough time in the day to get everything done! ... Maybe I'm just way out in left field here and all the rest of you find it incredibly easy to get everything done. I must've missed that life lesson of "How to get absolutely everything done and have plenty of extra time for leisure."

This reminds me of a poem. It's a really good one I promise. And I don't really get into poetry much, so you know this has gotta be interesting. (I know, I know. It's titled for Mormon women. Just work with me here. This is more than applicable for all of us.)

The Perfect Mormon Woman
by Vickie Gunther.
(gently edited by Dr Matt).

Look at me, look at me, look at me now.
You can do what I do, if you knew how!

I study the scriptures one hour each day;
I bake and upholster and scrub, and I pray.
I keep all commandments you see, quite completely;
I speak to my little ones gently and sweetly.

Design all their clothes and sew all they wear,
I drive them to practice and cut all their hair.
I memorize names of the General Authorities;
Order each goal to be done by priorities.

I play the piano, bless all with my talents.
My toilets all sparkle! My check books are balanced.
One day a week every child gets a date;
Attend all my meetings — on time, never late!

I'm taking a class on the teachings of Paul,
But that is not all! Oh no, that is not all:
I track my bad habits till each is abolished;
Iron every t-shirt. My toenails are polished!

Our family home evenings are ever delightful;
The lessons I plan are both fun and insightful.
I do genealogy faithfully too.
It's easy to do all the things that I do!

Up early each morning, refreshed and awake;
I know all the names of the youth in my stake.
I read to my children! I help all my neighbors.
I bless the community too, with my labors.

I exercise daily, cook menus gourmet;
My visiting teaching is done the first day!
I also go do it for someone who misses,
The least I can do for my caring ward sisters.

I chart resolutions and check off each goal;
I search for "lost lambs" on my Primary roll.
I store home-grown produce in summer and fall.
But that is not all! Oh no, that is not all:

I write in my journal and sing in the choir;
Each day, I write "thank you's" to those I admire.
My sons were all Eagles when they were fourteen.
My kids get straight A's, and their bedrooms are clean!

I have a home business to help make some money;
I always look beautifully groomed for my honey.
I go to the temple at least once a week;
I rotate car tires, fix each plumbing leak!

I grind my own wheat and I bake all our bread;
I have all our meals planned out six months ahead.
I make sure to rotate our two-years supply;
My shopping for Christmas is done by July!

These things are not hard; it’s good if you do them.
You can if you try. Set your goals and pursue them.
It's easy to do all the things that I do.
If you plan and work smart, you can do them all too!

"It's easy!" she said . . . and then she dropped dead.

NEWS FLASH: It's not easy.

Everlasting Salvation
I looked for some commandment and blessing that would provide me with more time in the day, or at least a promise that I could get everything done that I need to. Here's what I found.

"Whoso desireth to reap, let him thrust in his sickle with his might,
and reap while the day lasts, that he may treasure up for his soul
everlasting salvation in the kingdom of God."

I can hear your thoughts already. Most of them sound like this "...What?" So let's break it down and see if we can't glean a little more understanding from this promise and if I can help you understand what this has to do with "time" for me.

First lets pull out the essentials. Here's our if-then statement:
IF: You thrust in your sickle with your might, and reap while the day lasts.
THEN: You may treasure up for your soul everlasting salvation in the kingdom of God.

Pretty straight forward and pretty awesome. Anything that ends with the promise of everlasting salvation in the kingdom of God is a promise I want to pay attention to

Thrust in your sickle with your might
Reaping grain

A sickle is a curved blade used for cutting grass and grain. The act of reaping is to cut and collect a crop from a field. Taken at its most literal definition this scripture could mean that only farmers get everlasting salvation. Obviously God has opened up His heavenly gates to more that just farmers and so we are to take this verse more symbolically.

"Thrust in your sickle with your might." To me that sounds like we're being told to "dive in." To throw ourselves into our work. But what does this have to do with having time to get things done? The key is in the second half of the commandment.

Reap while the day lasts
Does that stand out to anyone else? "Reap while the day lasts" It doesn't say "reap till the field's done" it just specifies that we reap while the day lasts. That sounds like God knows full well that there's more on our plate than we have time to do. He's not requiring us to get it all done, but He does require us to be diligent, prioritize, work hard, and endure to the end.

I wish my clock and God's clock were
synced a little better though.
I hope that brings some amount of comfort to you. I know it does to me. Some days I feel like I'm falling ever further behind in my ever-expanding list of To-Do's. But to know that God understands my struggle and that to please Him I don't have to "do it all" I just have to do my very best.

God does expect me to prioritize though. In an insightful talk given by Elder Oaks titled Good, Better, Best he makes a distinction of choosing in our lives to put the "best," most important, things first. Then fitting in the "good" and the "better." We can't do it all. So we need to make sure we're putting the Lord first. If we do that then we will find Him putting us first as well. "He that is righteous is favored of God."
(1 Nephi 17:35)

Elder Eyring offered this counsel linked with the amazing promise of expanded time. "There is another way to look at your problem of crowded time. You can see it as an opportunity to test your faith. The Lord loves you and watches over you. He is all-powerful, and He promised you this: “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you” (Matt. 6:33).

That is a true promise. When we put God’s purposes first, He will give us miracles. If we pray to know what He would have us do next, He will multiply the effects of what we do in such a way that time seems to be expanded. He may do it in different ways for each individual, but I know from long experience that He is faithful to His word." (Elder Eyring, emphasis added)

*For your personal insight.* Could the fifth of our classic ten commandments be read in such a way that the resulting blessing gives us added time in our day? "Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee." (Exodus 20:12, emphasis added)

Endure to the End
Unfortunately the phrase "endure to the end" implies little or no movement. Just maintaining existence at a fixed point rather than continual progression. This is a problem. Enduring to the end is not about remaining stationary! I have two quotes from Elder Maxwell (can you tell I'm favoring his quotes today? I was recently given The Neal A. Maxwell Quote Book and I'm loving it).

"True enduring represents not merely the passage of time, but the passage of the soul--and not merely from A to B, but sometimes all the way from A to Z. To endure in faith and do God's will therefore involves much more than putting up with difficult circumstances."

"The mere passage of time does not mean the automatic passing of milestones in personal development."

I love these quotes so much I don't even know where to start! If we aren't trying to grow and progress then guess what?? We're not growing and progressing! Just cause we're getting older doesn't mean that we're getting more Christ-like.

Growing Older vs Personal Development
Too often in our culture we use age as a determination of someone's wisdom and mental, emotional, and spiritual maturity, but that's completely misleading! I've known some 8 year old kids that I'd be quicker to take advice from than some "mature" adults! Well guess what people; just cause we're getting older doesn't mean we're getting any wiser.

This habit of ours to see age as corresponding to maturity also leads to putting people into categories because of their age. Some few generations ago a 14 year old boy could be completely relied on to get up at 5:00am of his own accord, milk the cows, do some other odd jobs, fix himself breakfast and pack a lunch, and walk to school. But now the expectations we have for our "teenagers" have reached an all-time low. We let them skip school whenever they want to, they play video games or hangout with their friends all day with little or no chores or responsibilities around the house, we give them a car and a cell phone, both of which we don't expect them to pay anything for, etc and then we expect them to just magically "grow out" of this stage they're in??

I know that during those stages of life called "youth" there are many things going on. Hormone changes, physical growth, social pressures and changing social dynamics, etc. But people respond to how you treat them. If we continue treat our children like children and then expect them to suddenly become responsible citizens and spiritual leaders when they hit 21 then we're in for a nasty surprise. Because unless that child takes personal responsibility for their development then they'll be going nowhere fast.

I am greatly blessed to be raised by parents who continue to try and help me grow and develop myself. It's not easy, and sometimes they have to chasten, but I owe much of whom I am to their continued guidance.

I speak much of the "youth" but this is just as applicable, if not more so, to the "middle aged" among us. You have reached a point in your life where you probably feel like you've done pretty well. You endured high-school, perhaps some college, you might have children of your own (and compared to them you probably feel pretty mature and refined), you have a career, etc. This message is for you. "Reap while the day lasts." The day is still here for you. In fact you are at a point in your life where your influence on others is most crucial and influential and when personal growth is even more rewarding.

We Are Strangers In Time
God has warned us that in the last days our days will be shortened. I take that to mean two things, the second coming will happen and will effectively "shorten" the last days by ending them. But also that the time given in each day will slip through our fingers more easily. How many times have I thought "where did the day go?" or "wow that year flew by!" Our days are being shortened. If we don't take full advantage of the time we're given it will be gone before we know it.

Time flies on wings of lightning;
We cannot call it back.
It comes, then passes forward
Along its onward track.
And if we are not mindful,
The chance will fade away,
For life is quick in passing.
'Tis as a single day.
(Improve The Shining Moments, Hymn 226)

Everlasting salvation in the kingdom of God
The promise is that if we do our best each and every day, thrust in your sickle with your might and reap while the day lasts, we can be granted everlasting salvation in the kingdom of God. So don't despair if it feels like you're falling behind or don't have the energy or time to get everything done. Just reevaluate, get the most important things done first, do your best and God will help with the rest. In the end, you'll have the ultimate reward.

Keep Pushing On

Andrew



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great thoughts on using time well. I love how you put out to reap while the day lasts not until its all done. Thanks!