Sunday, May 4, 2014

“What I say unto one, I say unto all.”

I am the oldest of eight children in my family. I know that's quite a hoard compared to most families, but I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. It has made for an interesting dynamic though. Being the oldest I got many privileges and responsibilities long before my siblings did. I could stay up later, drive, have a cell phone, etc. before some of my siblings could work a toaster. That's just how the world works. (Though various siblings have been somewhat piqued about that fact.)

So what about our Heavenly Father and us as his children? There are an incredible number of unique people and circumstances on the earth. Each of us at various levels of spiritual and temporal progression. So then how do we reconcile the phrase “what I say unto one, I say unto all”, mentioned no less than four separate times, in the D&C? (D&C 62:18,36; 92:1; 93:49)

Take this example: Let's say one day I pray and ask God if it is His will that I become a doctor. Let's say I get a reassuring answer that it is. Does that mean that because God told me it's right for me to become a doctor then He has also told everybody else on earth they should become doctors too? Of course not. So then what does the phrase “What I say unto one, I say unto all" actually mean?

There are two factors in play here. The first is that "[God] is the same yesterday, today, and forever" and "he is unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity." So it goes against God's nature to tell one of His children one thing, but tell another child something different.

But there is also a second factor."the Lord esteemeth all flesh in one; he that is righteous is favored of God." So although the Lord loves everybody equally He favors the righteous.

God loves us all equally, He promises all of us the same blessings, it is our own personal qualification, preparation, and destination, combined with the will of God that enables us to receive blessings.

This principle is important with the study done in the D&C because a number of the sections of the Doctrine and Covenants are addressed to specific people. For example, Section 12 is a revelation to Joseph Knight Sr. But it is still applicable to us because it is revelation from God and put into the D&C specifically for the world to read and apply. (“What I say unto one, I say unto all.”) Therefore, despite some sections of the D&C being revelations for specific people we call all apply it to ourselves individually.

So when we all read the Doctrine and Covenants I encourage you all to not think to yourselves "Oh this is just the Lord speaking to [insert name here] so it doesn't apply to me." But rather "How can I apply the principles in this section to my own life?" This will narrow the distance between our lives and the word of God. Seek to apply in all cases the word of God and He will bless you for it.

This concludes the three part posting introducing my study of the commandments and blessings of the Doctrine and Covenants. My personal introduction to the study, the direct connection of commandments and blessings, and the foundation of my broad application of the revelations in the D&C to all of us as children of God.

Starting tomorrow we begin discussing individual commandments and blessings! See you then!

No comments: